Dot 4 vs Dot 5 brake fluid

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dot 4 vs Dot 5 brake fluid
From: Jim Jones <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 15:10:07 -0800 (PST)
Umph.

It appears this issue will never be truly "settled". I have used both fluids in
two different '6's. Never really noticed much difference in brake or clutch
performance, though I'm not one to push the brakes to the limit very much.
Other than the fact that I had repaint my engine compartment when the DOT 4
leaked, both seemed to work just fine. From what I can gather, the DOT 4 MAY
give somewhat better hydraulic performance, especially under race conditions.
The DOT 5 appears to be easier to live with in terms of maintenance. As long as
you maintain your hydraulic systems regularly, I'd imagine a person would be
happy with either one.

Now, can we please worry about something else?

I say that with only half seriousness. You all are great people and I'm glad to
have a forum where I can obsess over the minutiae of these wonderful LBC's with
other like-minded souls.

Now, I'd like to know what you all think about stainless steel bolts and nuts
in the engine compartment. Good, bad, otherwise.

Jim Jones
'72 Emerald