RE: Head/Block/Gasket Match?

To: "Douglas Morris" <dcmdcm@earthlink.net>, "6pack"
Subject: RE: Head/Block/Gasket Match?
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 14:59:03 -0800
        Doug:

        There s not sufficient detail in the picture to know. All I can tell is
that your head gasket is for the later block.
        To determine if you have the later block, you need only check that there
is a 0.015" 'lip' around each cylinder. The cylinder liner is actually
recessed into the block by this amount.
        To determine if you have the later head, check which intake manifold
you have.
If the manifold is "square" it is the earlier head. If the manifold is the
"swept" style
with the longer, straighter runners, you have the late style head.
        It really doesn't matter what the head is as far as compatibility goes.
The things that must match are the head gasket and the block. And I cannot tell
if
they match from this photo.

        Vance