R Williams Book & Re-curving Advance

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: R Williams Book & Re-curving Advance
From: Bruce Simms <brucesimms2003@yahoo.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:26:07 -0500 (EST)
Williams & other Brits such as Moss Europe suggest that later cars could
benefit by having their distributor advances re-curved to more closely match
the early PI profile.   He suggests that total advance should be in by
2800-3000 for a fast road car, as opposed to 3200-3400.

Moss Europe has a pack of alternative distributor weight springs available to
re-set the advance.  The weaker springs bring the advance in earlier.  I guess
I need to find a shop with a distributor setting machine to get this work done.
 Trial and error could be painful.

I have 9.5 compression, flowed head, early PI profile camshaft, HS6s with BCC
needles, sport coil and Crane 700 conversion.

Is the advance re-curve applicable and worthwhile? Pluses/minuses?

Thank You,

Bruce Simms
CF1941UO