Re:Critiques of R. Williams...

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Critiques of R. Williams...
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:38:41 -0800 (PST)
Re:Critiques of RWilliams book
Larry wrote:
Bob...
Interesting point here...
Dick Taylor and Dan Masters were both consulted on the latest Williams
book(HTI Triumph). I think they would qualify for your
statement..."Mostly my irritation is around the fact that there is
little or no process involved in contacting real resources like Kas or
JK Jackson or any of the other real authorities on the topics (on this
side of the pond)."

Larry---I haven't read Roger's book yet on "How to Improve..." so I
can't comment on its entirety. Roger did send me a draft on what he
proposed to use on the info I sent him earlier in the year. It was kind
of lengthy, so I don't know if he trimmed it before publication. I fact,
I don't know if he used any of it! It was mostly about CD Ignition
systems, and my exerience using a couple different MSD units and such. I
also sent him my sketch on how to limit total ignition advance using the
"tubing around the post" method, which I played with about 15 years ago!
(Funny how things go around, just when we thought we were the Lone
Ranger about this or that.)

 I doubt there are many  who could write a book so complete as to not
draw comparisons to the works of others. I would think it difficult if
not impossible to appeal to all readers, given the great differences in
our experiences and needs. Obviously, Kastner went to many of us who own
or raced modified TRs for his book, but because of Kas' respected depth
of knowledge on this marque, he draws little criticism for what he
leaves out. His would be one tough act to follow!

Dick Taylor

I would read your critique of the book also...one can never have too
much knowledge.
Larry M

I agree, Larry.