TR6 transmission disassembly

To: "6 List" <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: TR6 transmission disassembly
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 22:40:00 -0500
HELP!
I'm attempting to rebuild a non-overdrive transmission from a '72 TR6.
Tranny SN is CD45724, with a build date(?) of 11 J 71 stamped by the SN.
The car had been sitting outside well over 10 years.
The only other transmissions I have rebuilt were late models, 74.5s and
75s. Only one didn't have overdrive. I don't recall the rear extension
on the other transmission being difficult to remove. This one however,
doesn't want to come off. It seems the extension rear bearing is frozen
on the mainshaft.
Any advice or tricks on removing a reluctant extension? I haven't used a
lot of force for fear of breaking the extension, but I have used a dead
blow hammer while prying between the extension and the main housing to
no avail.

Oh, and yes the mainshaft nut and washer have been removed, along with
the speedo drive and 6 attachment bolts.

TIA for any advice,

Jim Davis

Fortson, GA