Re: copper head gasket

To: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Subject: Re: copper head gasket
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 10:07:44 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 Lizirbydavis@cs.com wrote:

> Hi list.

Hi.

> What are the advantages of a copper head gasket?

There are several advantages. They are re-usable. They can be had in
different thicknesses, so you can customize your compression ratio to
whatever you need. They don't burn as easy as some head gasket might. They
can be custom shaped (for those with wild porting or head work).

For a racer, copper is almost the only way to go.

For the street - it doesn't matter unless you need a custom thicknedss to
drop the C/R to "sane" levels.

>Are there any sources for
> early TR6 heads?

Early is easy becuase the block is flat.

Check out www.gasketworks.com. Gasketworks is run by a Triumph guy named
Mordy Dunst. In addition to being a really great guy, Mordy is a Triumph
enthusiast of the highest order. He races a vintage TR4A and is married to
Mike Rothchild's daughter (Mike was a works driver in the early 60's).

You can get ANY gasket in copper if you contact mordy. He can probably do
stell too, if that fits your needs.

> I see copper listed by Moss for the later head.

No experience with this one. I'll have to check it out, because late
blocks have the recesses for the "fire rings" in the head gasket (which
work really well, BTW). Late block wind up having "issues" if you build
them up (see previous diatribes on "decking").

> Joe Davis

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |