Re: Broken flywheel bolt

To: ebers@wpa.net (Jim)
Subject: Re: Broken flywheel bolt
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 23:45:10 -0800 (PST)
Jim---You say your four flywheel bolts went in and bottomed out without
undue torquing, but then wouldn't come out. My best guess is that the
bolts used were a tad too long for the depth of the tapped holes in the
crank, and rolled over some of the bottom bolt threads. This could be
why they were unwilling to then unscrew. At this point it would be
difficult to hand drill thru the broken bolts, but I would try this
first and use the E-Z-OUT or some other bolt extractor.  You may want to
consider just removing the crankshaft to get a better shot at doing this
right, so as not to really screw up the remaining threads.

To verify this possibility, take a close look at the threads of two
bolts that did come out. See if you can run a 7/16"UNF nut down them.
Also compare the length to a standard issue flywheel bolt to the depth
of the tapped crank.

Worst case scenario...You can D&T for four more bolt holes in the crank,
between those provided from the factory.

Good luck!

Dick