Re: Oil Filter O ring size

To: chuck.arnold@oracle.com
Subject: Re: Oil Filter O ring size
From: Vsnively@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 18:22:11 EST
Chuck,
  If I measured my sample correctly, you need a size -243. This is an
industry-standard o-ring size as a Quad Ring (Minnesota Rubber registered
trademark)
directly replaces an o-ring. Dimensionally, it is called out as 4-1/8" ID x
1/8" c/s (cross-section), nominally. Standard material is Buna 70 (70
durometer). I believe that most automotive applications, except brake fluid,
call for
neoprene. I would ask for that, if not available, Buna will work fine up to
approximately 220-250F. Viton (DuPont registered trademark) is rated to 450F.
Both
temp ranges depend upon who you ask.
 As far as I know, ethylene propylene (EP, EPR, EPDM) should ALWAYS be used
in brake fluid applications, as it will not swell when subjected to brake fluid.
 The standard oil filter seal is technically a square ring.
 HTH,
 Regards,
 Vic Snively
 '75 TR6