More on the Bosch alternator conversion?

To: "6-Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: More on the Bosch alternator conversion?
From: "R. Ashford Little II" <ralittle2@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:06:48 -0500
A week or so ago I asked list members who have performed the Lucas to Bosch
alternator conversion on their TR6 to send me photos, which some of you did
and I thank you.  The reason I asked for those pics, and didn't disclose it
at the time, was to ensure that I had it bolted on correctly.  Sure, it
seems easy when you are taking things off, but it's amazing how quickly the
mind forgets.

I did have it on correctly, but my concern was and is the clearance between
the alternator fan and the alternator bracket.  I don't have an exact
measurement, but the new Bosch unit has a slightly larger in diameter fan.
This larger size can potentially interfere with the alternator bracket.  Not
good, and I may actually have the tension a bit too tight to ensure long
life of the bearing in the alternator.

So, how have others tackled this issue?  At least one of you said to simply
grind off a portion of the bracket to remove the potential for interference.
Is the best way, or are there other modifications?

As always, thanks in advance,

Ashford

'70 TR6