advice sought on HF floor jack repair -- minimal LBC content

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: advice sought on HF floor jack repair -- minimal LBC content
From: Cregg Cowan <cowan@erg.sri.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:43:43 -0800
Sadly the HF 2 1/4 ton floor jack (model 4172) I use to lift my TR6 won't
stay up.  I assume the seal is leaking, because when I pump the handle the
saddle moves up only slightly then falls immediately.  I've used it about
20 times since new.

The jack came with a replacement seal and backup ring (plastic washer) but
the instructions say to take it to a repair center (not serviceable by
owner).  Has anyone out there successfully repaired an HF jack and could
point me in the right direction?

I've googled a fair bit without finding general information on repairing
floor jacks.  However, I did find a site that implies I'm not the only one
to have trouble with a Chinese jack (http://www.hyjacks.com/H22.HTM)

TIA,
Cregg Cowan
Mountain View, California