Re: advice sought on HF floor jack repair -- minimal LBC

To: cowan@erg.sri.com
Subject: Re: advice sought on HF floor jack repair -- minimal LBC
From: Jay Welch <jay_welch@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:47:06 GMT
Hi Cregg,

There is a hydraulic shop near me that repairs floor jacks.  I stopped on my
way by to inquire about repqair for a friend's jack.  He stated that he will
only repair jacks made in the USA.  He said the Chinese jacks aren't worth the
hassle because the repairs don't last.

I have a 20+ year old Sears jack (green and white) that has never failed me
through many repairs.  I assumed that it was made in USA but a friend pointed
out that it was made in Japan.  That jack built 20 years ago resembles the
quality of what are considered commercial jacks today.

My neighbor bought a "Made in China" big bench vice from BJs for a VERY good
price.  He was beating on a u-joint one day and a large portion of the front
jaw area fell off.  The defective casting had been filled with a body type
filler and painted over.  I guess you get what you pay for.

I steer clear of Chinese "anything".

I guess you might as well try to fix it yourself...nothing to lose.

Good luck,
Jay Welch
Abington, MA
TR6s
Member Cape Cod British Car Club CCBCC http://www.capecodbritishcarclub.org/

-- Cregg Cowan <cowan@erg.sri.com> wrote:
Sadly the HF 2 1/4 ton floor jack (model 4172) I use to lift my TR6 won't
stay up.  I assume the seal is leaking, because when I pump the handle the
saddle moves up only slightly then falls immediately.  I've used it about
20 times since new.

The jack came with a replacement seal and backup ring (plastic washer) but
the instructions say to take it to a repair center (not serviceable by
owner).  Has anyone out there successfully repaired an HF jack and could
point me in the right direction?