Cylinder head identification - '70 TR6

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cylinder head identification - '70 TR6
From: "Glenn Rierson" <glenn.rierson@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:13:03 -0600
I am attempting a roller rocker upgrade on my '70 TR6, but have run into a
problem with the standard (solid) pushrods either slightly touching or coming
too close to the head at the pushrod journals.  The spec for the rockers
indicates the distance from the pushrods to the journal walls should be .030".
As far as I know the engine is stock and the 1:1.75 ratio roller rockers
should work.  The engine number is CC52689E, which according to the TRF
catalog and my British Motor Industry Heritage Trust Certificate is correct
for my car.  I know the engine has been rebuilt.  The head has multiple
stampings and casting identifications and I don't know what they mean, and is
the head "correct" for the engine.

The following list is the information cast/stamped on the head:

- Front of head by thermostat housing, stamping on valve cover gasket surface
- JJ
- manifold side of head, cylinder #1, stamping on valve cover gasket surface -
516323 (I couldn't find this number in any parts catalog)
- manifold side of head, cylinder #3, casting number - Z(?)307837
- manifold side of head, cylinder #4, casting number - B110
- manifold side of head, cylinder #5, stamping on valve cover gasket surface -
20
- manifold side of head, by heater valve, casting number 130691(?)

I measured the thickness of the head and it is 3.4585" which is very close to
the 3.460" for the 8.5 CR head used on the '70 TR6.

The rocker pedestals are Stanpart 145867 (#1), 144974 (#2-#5) and 145869
(#6).

I know this question is asking a lot, but I don't want to give up on the
roller rockers.

Thanks,
Glenn Rierson
'70 TR6