I'm Puzzled Continued...

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: I'm Puzzled Continued...
From: "Steve Wylie" <steve@wyliecafe.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:27:48 -0800
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions.  I have a couple of updates:

1. No apparent vacuum leaks at either the carb -> Intake or Intake -> Head.

2. I don't seem to have the metal tag on the carbs to tell me which model
they are but I've discovered something interesting upon partial disassembly
to check the diaphragms (which appear fine). I notice that the carbs on the
car have fixed needles.  However, in the box of parts that came with the car
many years ago, I have an extra set of carb tops, air valves and needles
that are adjustable.  I'm assuming they were changed at some point. Both my
carbs and these extra tops say 175 CD-2. Are the fixed/adjustable
interchangeable? If not, there is a chance I have miss matched pieces in the
carbs.  According to the Buckeye site, a '72 should have adjustable needles
which leads me to believe those extra parts in the box are originals.

3. The bypass valves on the carbs have vacuum ports suggesting the carbs are
from an earlier car.  I believe the '69s and the 250s had this. They are
blanked off on my car.

4. The symptoms seem to suggest the carbs are running lean.  (Requires choke
to run better, pops on deceleration, rpms slow when I lift the carb air
valves) 5. A couple of you suggested that possibly the spark is out of
phase.  I haven't had any major engine work done on the car but I'm not sure
what happened to it before me.  I have had the car running close to good at
times which suggests to me that it not something as major as that, but I'm
no expert here.

Any thoughts where to go from here?  The Buckeye sure has a lot of great
information which I will put to use.  I want to make sure I have the right
pieces at least before I attempt to rebuild the carbs.

Thanks.

Steve