Re: Exhaust headers

To: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Exhaust headers
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:40:18 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Timothy Holbrook wrote:

{Stuff deleted}

> That said, last time I looked, Richard Good (of Goodparts) was using a
> Monza header and with the stock pipes and muffler, and his car goes
> like a bat out of hell.  I would love to do back to back dyno tests of
> several exhaust setups (early header with stock single pipe, vs late
> header with stock dual pipe, vs Rimmer sport system) to see what the
> true power gains are.

As a point of reference, my race car currently has a Monza header
(extremely re-worked) and a 2.5 inch custom pipe terminating to a single
2.5" inlet/outlet turbo-style muffler.

It works "real good". In fact, that system is moving over to the street
car and the Falcon system will be going into the race car (with a new
custom system).

The key with the Monza header is the amount of re-work you do. As a frame
of reference, the re-work included removing the collecter and
repositioning it, modifying the mounting flange (to clear the Weber
manifold) and then misc. grinding to get things to fit.

Had I been paying someone to do the work, my $100 acquisition would have
costed well in excess of $400 in labor to make it fit.

It works okay.

The Falcon setup is so much better in virtually every way, plus the
quality control seems to be a LOT better. Mine just bolted in when I trial
fitted it. I will point out that some minor cleanup is required (at least
on my header) to clean up weld splatter at the manifold flange.

But the Falcon has nice FAT pipes, 1.5" OD. This is the first factor in
better performance. The second is that the primary tubes are nice and long
(24 inches if memory serves) which improves mid-range power - where you
need it.

This header thing is a perfect example of "you get what you pay for".

> Tim Holbrook
> 1971 TR6

Regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |