Re: Barrett-Jackson auction thoughts

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Barrett-Jackson auction thoughts
From: genehart@att.net
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 15:39:59 +0000
Bob, Vance et all,

I've been watching speed week, and they have a series going on where three
groups of teams throughout the country try to out earn each other by buying
cars throughout the country, fixing them up cosmeticaly, and selling them at
auction.

They try to get the car really on the cheap with a wad a cash floating in front
of the buyers face. But they seem to only get non-original or hot rod type cars
that are very speculative. (Like a chop top 53 merc, with flames painted on the
hood)A discerning seller knows his Mustang GT350 is worth 125K so why mess with
him.

They did however get one nice original old 50's wagon for 17K, but it was from
someone at a swap meet that just bought it to flip it.

They just seem like opportunists to me. Like you, I'm into the hobby of LBC
restoration and driving. I do it because I love it, and I'm into keeping things
as original as possible. I also think that it's really cool you can take a TR6
and make it run with the best racers out there. (It makes me proud to say "Yea,
I got a 6 like that, but it don't go as fast as that one")

My point is Barrett-Jackson gets paid big to hype the cars at auction, they are
in the auction business, not the restoration and preservation of cool cars.
either British or American. If Barrett-Jackson could get 25K selling a 1979
Honda CIVC they would, and then charge their 10% fee to the buyer for the
privilege of buying it at there auction.

And what's with the cattle call style aution, I hate the way you have to
interpet the yelling of the auctioneer. I know it's not pebble beach, but at
least it should understandable.

BTW, when I'm done with my restoration, I'm calling Barrett-Jackson so I can
sell my 6 for 30K to someone that absolutly knows nothing about LBC's. This way
I can buy 4 more TR6's in great condition and restore them to sell at
Barrett-Jackson. Ahh what a buisness....

--
Gene Hart
genehart@att.net