OD cable routing

To: "TR6 list" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: OD cable routing
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 09:42:29 -0800
        Folks:

        I am getting close to buttoning up the TR6 so that I can *DRIVE*
it.
What a concept.
        One of the few remaining things to do is to hook up the
speedometer.
As many of you know, I have added a J-Type OD to the tranny, and this
means
that the speedo connection is now on the passenger side of the tranny.
        I know that the cable is the same for OD and non-OD trannies
(says
so in the TRF catalog at least). I have the right angle drive installed,
but no matter how I tug, cuss, plead, or otherwise struggle, the cable
is
NOT long enough.
        OK, so it requires some brains to make this work. That's the
problem,
because I have none.
        Here is the question: How do I route the cable to
make it reach to the angle drive? It is clear I cannot use the
same route as the non-OD tranny used. Do I go over the top of the
tranny?
If I do that, it seems like the cable might get pinched between the bell
housing and the firewall when the engine moves on it's mounts.
        Another thought that occurred to me was not to pass the cable
through
the firewall at all, and just go from the speedo through the passenger
compartment to the tranny tunnel (drill a hole in the tunnel) and then
to the angle drive. Solves the cable pinching problem, at least. Any
comments?
        *OR* is the TRF catalog wrong, and there is a whiz bang special
cable from RIMMER et all that I need?

        Thanks for any tips,

        Vance