Re: drive shaft vibrations and ujoints TR250 TR6

To: "'6-Pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: drive shaft vibrations and ujoints TR250 TR6
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:13:10 -0500
Thanks to all who have responded.

But to tell the truth I am confused by some of the replies. I'll bet it
is because my question was not clear.

In all cases, either drive shaft or axles, the yoke end that is attached
to the shaft is in the correct orientation. In the case of the axles the
spline goes together only one way, as Hugh pointed out, and in the case
of the drive shaft, I have not moved the yoke ends that are attached to
the drive shaft.

I am only asking about the flange yoke ends that are connected to the
shafts by the ujoint.

I did not think it made any difference if these flanges were rotated 180
degrees when I reassembled the ujoints. I'm still not sure if it does
make a difference. Probably the best suggestion is just install the
ujoints have them balanced anyway -- not sure what that costs.

One person responded and said that they had a vibration and solved it by
  unbolting the drive shaft flange and the mating differential flange
and rotating the drive shaft 180 degrees. I guess I have heard that one
should mark the drive shaft flanges and diff-tranny ends for later
reassembly.

Brings up a question -- I'm putting in a new OD tranny. What to do then?
  Just bolt it up and hope for the best? There's only four different
possibilities I guess, but what if the vibration is caused by a
combination of both the diff end and tranny end -- 16 possibilities.
Hmmm....

I don't understand how it could possibly make any difference how the
balanced drive shaft gets bolted up to the diff and tranny. Is the
tranny and diff out of balance and does the drive shaft compensate for
this in some way?? I thought drive shaft was balanced out of the car. If
it's balanced, how could it make any difference how it was bolted into
the car? This makes no sense. If the drive shaft compensates for an out
of balance diff and/or trany then the drive shaft must be "balanced" out
of balance in just the right way. Something doesn't compute here. Did
the factory just keep unbolting and bolting them 16 different times (OK
8 times on average) until they got it right? I think I'm starting to see
the blue screen....

Don Malling