RE: 1973 TR6 Heater Core & Fan

To: <Daybell7@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 1973 TR6 Heater Core & Fan
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:17:21 -0500
Steve,
Remove the carpets under the heater, lay some towels in their place and
open the heater control valve to allow coolant to run through the
heater, then start the engine. If, after the engine has run a while you
see no leaks take the car for a spin and ensuring that the heater door
is open feel if heat is coming from the heater. Your right foot will let
you know in short order.
To test the motor, connect 12v to the GY wire and make sure the black
wire is to ground. The motor should operate at full speed. The switch is
a two speed unit and the GY wire should connect to the #8 terminal, the
GN wire to the #6 terminal and the G wire to the #4 terminal.

I hope you don't have to pull the heater unit out for repair as it is
not a fun job (at least not to me) due to access challenges. I assume
you have a good manual. If not, I'd purchase the Haynes or Bentley
repair manual and Dan Master's Electrical Maintenance Handbook. The
Haynes and Dan Master's manuals are available through our 6-Pack club.

HTH,

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO

How should I test to see if the heater core is good and if the blower
works?
The heater has not been operational since I bought the car in 1999.

Thanks.
Steve Hughes
Gainesville, FL