RE: Tranny help

To: <DaCRANEz@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tranny help
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 11:54:12 -0800
        Mike:

        Can you work the shifter when the top cover is off the tranny?
I suspect that it won't work off the tranny either.
        The prime suspects are the little ball bearings and dowel that
you insert into the shift rods through the backup switch opening
on the top cover. If you get them installed incorrectly, the shift
rods won't budge.
        The dowel and ball bearings are there to prevent more than
1 gear being engaged at any time. If one gear is engaged, the
remaining shift rods are locked into position so that no other
gear can be engaged. This is to protect the transmission, as
you can easily imagine what would happen when you let out the
clutch with 2 different gears were engaged.
        Check the operation of the linkage with the top cover off
the tranny. If it works normally, then I am all wet and
you will need to look elsewhere.

        Cheers,

        Vance