Sanity check - timing chain replacement

To: 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Sanity check - timing chain replacement
From: Mickylong@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 08:50:25 EST
Wondering what the collective wisdom here is re: replacement of timing chain
in the following situation:

My engine is currently on a stand while the car is going through paint work.
I've had the Timing cover off and don't see a lot of wear on either gears.
Car has 66K miles.

But, there is approx. 1/2 inch or better play in the chain (can't find any
specs on normal tension and measurement is by eyeball only so far) and I have
two new gears that were purchased by PO and not installed.  Last year when I
had
the 6 on the road I was having some problems maintaining exact timing but
hadn't really isolated the problem.

I'm inclined to just go ahead and replace the gears and chain since chain is
minimal cost and engine is already out.  Any reason to not do this?  It looks
like a fairly easy and straightforward replacement, but I have been down THAT
road too many times.

Thoughts?

Micky Long, Atlanta
72 TR 6