RE: Sanity check - timing chain replacement

To: <Mickylong@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Sanity check - timing chain replacement
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 09:02:04 -0800
        Micky:

        FWIW, I replaced the whole set at 69k on my 6. My feelings were
is that it was cheap insurance, another $25 in a $2k rebuild seemed
like a nit.
        One caveat: My new timing set had no markings on it to allow
correct timing of the cam. If your old set is marked, you will need
to transfer your markings to the new set. My old set had no marks.
        The Bentley manual has a nice procedure on how to time the cam
with no timing marks, which I used. It was very simple and seemed
to work very well (at least in the sense that my car started easily,
so the cam must be close). I was able to easily resolve the timing
to less than 1/2 of 1 tooth on the cam gear using the Bentley
procedure.

        Vance