Re: Way out of time

To: KKSMC@aol.com
Subject: Re: Way out of time
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 12:53:10 -0700
Ken---Can't say if damage occured when the distributor twisted itself
around, but some fragile wires could have been strained. Best now to
check the timing advance with a timing light, to be sure this is
functioning as the engine speeds up.  I suspect as Mitch did that the
rotor came up out of the shaft keyway, and caught on the cap towers.
This would spin the whole assembly CCW. (Normally, this should shear the
key in the rotor, unless the pinch bolt were loose.)

I would turn the engine to where it stops the pointer on TDC, Take off
the cap and see if the rotor is right at #1 tower. Fine adjust from
there.

You may want to remove the distributor, and spin the shaft by hand, to
check that the point gap remains the same at each of the 6 stations.

Dick