fitting distributor pedestal..Q?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: fitting distributor pedestal..Q?
From: rhill <hill@mninter.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 08:38:32 -0500
I am in the process of re-fitting the distributor in my '73, and the
following qs have arisen:

1) The Bentley manual makes it very unclear as to the process of
obtaining the right end-float...  They say (12.10.22, step 8):'place a
flat washer on top of the drive shaft bush', and they show in the
illustration the washer placed on top of the drive shaft gear.  I can't
imagine that there is any difference in the result, but I thought I'd
ask.

2) Are the pedestal base gaskets available in differing thicknesses?
Or are they thin enough to make this just an additive process to obtain
the correct thickness?  Also, as my distributor pedestal had no gaskets
when I removed it, can I just fabricate gaskets out of...well... thick
paper/cardstock, if need be?  It doesn't seem to be a critical
application for sealing.

3) and finally, should I make any sort of allowance for gasket crush
while setting the end-float?

Thanking you very much for reading this far (and answering, one hopes)

BobH
(Long-time-lurker, very-seldom-poster)