Re: Diff. pinion seal

To: Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: Diff. pinion seal
From: Brian Yarborough <bytr6@frontiernet.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:19:49 -0400
on 4/19/04 3:36 PM, Sally or Dick Taylor at tr6taylor@webtv.net wrote:

> Brian---These seals are difficult to remove and reinstall with the
> pinion gear and nut in the way. I would never want to attempt changing
> this seal with the diff in the car. I changed this seal while the diff
> was out o the bench, but first removed the pinion gear itself, because
> the Sun and Planet gear spacers were worn anyway. If you have noticeable
> backlash at these places, consider replacing them. Not a fun task, but
> do-able with a manual, and if you're not in a hurry.
> More to the point, taking out the pinion gear makes it easy to then tap
> out the seal with a long punch, working from inside the case.
> If this does not appeal to you, get a seal puller and have at it from
> the outside of the case, with the internals unmolested.
>
> Dick Taylor
Dick;
It's out of the car. The nut, flange, and front mounting plate are off.
Right now the axle flanges will turn in one direction, but not the other.
Have I messed up the pinion/ring gear adjustment? When I spoke with Dave @
TRF, he said it was almost impossible to send the preload. He said that
there's no specific torque setting, but one measure the collapse of the
spacer to set the pre-load. Am I screwed? Do I need to pay for a rebuild, or
can I replace this on my bench w/o too much trouble? What's involved in
doing it? Help! I'm fairly competent with tools, but I read the Bentley and
this seems way hard.
I've a friend who's a mechanic, over 40 years, and has rebuilt a ton of
diffs. Is the TR-6 diff. any harder than US cars?
TIA;
Brian Yarborough
1976 TR-6
CF55886UO