vacuum retard

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: vacuum retard
From: DaCRANEz@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 16:54:10 EDT
Vance touched on something that I have been wondering about.  I have been
having problems with my newly rebuilt engine running roughly.  I finally got
the
timing straightened out but it runs like it has a big vacuum leak.  Believe me
I have checked everything-isolated carbon canister, checked throttle shafts,
new hose to servo,retightened manifolds.  Vance mentioned that the engine
should pick up revs when vacuum line is detached.  Mine doesn't. I can wiggle
the
vacuum unit and it will speed up or slow down engine speed.  Is this where my
problem in whole or in part lies?  I hate to buy a new vacuum unit  (68.95 @
VB) if it is not the problem.  I considered buying a rebuilt distributor but
after the layout for the rebuild I have to lighten up a bit on spending or I
won't have any gas money.  I almost forgot-whether I have the vacuum hooked up
or
plugged off does not affect dynamic timing.
Mike C  '71 CC62976L