Re: vacuum retard

To: <DaCRANEz@aol.com>
Subject: Re: vacuum retard
From: "Jeff Fetner" <fetnerj001@hawaii.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 22:38:58 -1000
I hope this time I can finish the thought before I hit the combination of
wrong keys that sends the message again...

  The purpose of the thermo switch was to block the vacuum retard if the
engine overheated, raising the idle and hopefully cooling the engine.  Maybe
there's a way to hook the lines so the vacuum is blocked all the time (or
applied only when overheated!)  I had a '72 and the thermo switch got so
sensitive it would block the vacuum even at normal temp.  I quickly removed
the thermo switch connection and ran a line direct from the bottom of the
rear carb to the retard module.  Have you tried that?
  I thought the thermo deal was only used from 72-74; what year is yours?

Jeff Fetner
'74