Re: Flushing out oil cooler

To: <MJSUKEY@cs.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Flushing out oil cooler
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 18:10:34 -0400
> As I prepare to assemble the motor in the TR6 I want to flush out
> the remote oil cooler and lines. I can make sure there are no
> nasties in the block and crank and I want to make sure there are
> none lurking in the cooler.  I am thinking there has to be a good
> way to do this.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Marty Sukey

Hi Marty,

Unfortunately, there is no way to flush out an oil cooler and guarantee that
nothing is left remaining inside the cooler core.  Boiling it out like a
radiator just does provide any piece of mind.

The pressure in your oil cooler is about four-five times what is seen in
your radiator, and since the oil cooler is aluminum, the steel and bearing
bits that get passed through it, would collect in portions of the cooler
core and if the particles are small enough they may even embed themselves
into the surfaces of the inside of the oil cooler core.

I feel that since oil coolers are a relatively minor expense, considering
it's value as opposed to that of a rebuilt motor, that it is worthwhile to
just replace them.

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke