Re: Smooth idle and vacuum leaks (long)

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Smooth idle and vacuum leaks (long)
From: <trinitygadget@alltel.net>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 10:54:47 -0500
Wow, it never ends, does it?  Some things to consider:

1. The shutoff solenoid on the canister shouldn't have any effect on your
problem.  Perhaps the canister itself is cracked somewhere or the removable
bottom plate seal is faulty?
2. Yes, there should be flow restrictors on each of the top canister nipples.
Additionally, there should be a metal restrictor/flame suppressor (?) in the
line that vents the petrol tank.  As a test, disconnect that line from the
canister and pull a vacuum with your trusty Mityvac. If you cannot maintain a
vacuum, check that the vent line is intact and your petrol cap seal is good.
Any fault here will introduce more air into the system and lean you out.
3. Remove the canister and take it apart. Clean the lower screen & filter and
repack the carbon.

On my '72, I only have 2 nipples on top and the big vent on the bottom (no
anti-runon solenoid) and I have no idle problems.  The system is supposed to
bleed in air from the bottom vent to sweep vapors from the carbon to the carbs
at all times during operation. The solenoid shuts when oil pressure is below 5
psi when the ignition is switched off, preventing air from entering the carbs
via the emissions hoses. This is supposed to prevent run-on.

Hope this helps.

Rick O.