Re: Trash in the master cylinder

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Trash in the master cylinder
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 12:27:42 -0400
The fluid in the brake booster gets there because of leaking MC seals. When
you apply the brake, hydraulic pressure pushes the fluid past worn seals and
into the booster.

I don't believe any of that fluid can get back into the MC. (It would have
to be under pretty good pressure and the level of fluid in the booster would
have to be up to the center where the MC attaches.) Therefore, I doubt that
the black substance is paint. Much more likely to be rubber from normal wear
of the seals.

Of course, this doesn't mean that your booster isn't on its way out.

Peter
'68 TR250