Seatbelt question

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Seatbelt question
From: "Phil Beckman" <phil@opentext.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 12:45:29 -0500
10 years back when I restored my TR6 I ended up buying an entire new body
tub for the car.  The old tub was so rusted that it was just easier to
replace the whole thing.  When I did this, I used a tub from a 69 TR6
instead of a 73.  As a result, the holes for the seatbelts were not set up
for the retractable inertial type belts.  Basically, the lower holes in the
rear fender wells are not there, just the ones on the top.  This is because,
apparently, the 69 had old-style manually adjustable belts instead of the
retractable type.  My old belts were a wreck anyway so, in the restoration,
I ended up buying non-retractable belts instead of replacements for the
retractable type.  Now, years later, I'm thinking about finally getting the
correct belts for my car.

The question is, how would I go about adding the holes for the inertial type
belts to my rear fender wells?  I would assume I'll need to add some sort of
reinforcement to the sheet metal.  Is that a job a welding shop needs to do?
Has anyone else ever done a conversion like this?

Phil Beckman
73 TR6
Libertyville, IL