fluid questions

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: fluid questions
From: "Campsmith, Michael" <mgc4@cdc.gov>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 15:51:58 -0400
Greetings, listers--

I have been off the listserve for a while, so please excuse any
redundant questions that have been recently answered.

To bring you up to date:  I am in the process of a ground up restoration
of my 1974 TR6, including a replacement frame and body.  I now have new
seals in the differential and new u-joints on the axles and driveshaft.
The transmission will soon be returned with a late model overdrive
fitted.

I would like to hear your experiences with gearbox and differential
fluid, and grease for axle and driveshaft splines.  It has been
recommend I should use 90 wt. GL4 gear oil in both the diff and gear
box; non-moly grease recommended on the axle splines.  Has anyone used a
synthetic oil in the diff and/or gearbox?  Is there such a thing as
"breaking in" a rehabbed gearbox/diff?  If so, do I need to use a
thinner oil?  Any experience with something other to lubricate axle
splines?

I have read the comments on the Buckeye Triumphs website and some were
for GL4 and some for synthetics.  Your "real world" experience would be
most appreciated.  Thanks.

Michael Campsmith
Atlanta, GA
1974 1/2 TR6 (currently in a million pieces)