Re: Surrey Glass

To: "Eureka Saws Co, Inc." <sawblade@ptdprolog.net>,
Subject: Re: Surrey Glass
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 10:35:36 -0400
Alex Manzo wrote:

> Just got back from Carlisle, PA (Import Show) In my travels, I was
> part of a conversation where a discussion was going on about
> Surrey tops. One of the guys has an NOS Surrey rear glass. He
> wants $1500 for it, but I am sure he would take $1200.

You could also check with your local Pilkington automotive glass dealer (I
know of one in Cambridge, Mass. and King of Prussia, PA).  Surrey class used
to be available through Pilkington.  EuroGlas in the UK may also be another
option but the overseas shipping could kill that deal.  If there are any
local plastics molding shops you always have the option of having Lexan cut
and molded to fit your surrey top... which would cost a lot less than $1200.

Another thing to keep in mind is that new surrey top glass, of recent
manufacture in the past few years, will be produced to a higher standard (in
terms of material and construction) than 30+ year old automotive glass.
This holds true for windshields as well.  All new auto glass has to meet DOT
and EU safety standards of today, not of 30 years ago.

On another note, I think this year was my last Carlisle year, it was utter
crap on Friday.  I cut my trip to Boston short on Thursday night to drive
back to PA and then head out to Carlisle on Friday... really disappointing.
It was like everyone brought their trash and thought it was worth a fortune.

Kai