Re: NO Spark

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: NO Spark
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 17:25:40 -0700
Jim---There is a way to check fo see if the coil is bad, but first, I
wouldn't look beyond the points themselves, as to why you have no spark.
Chances are good the problem is the points are being grounded, due to an
improper positioning of the nylon sleeve on the points stud post.

I don't know if you have a test light or a voltmeter, so I'll proceed as
if you don't.

You can test for spark by jogging the engine over, if necessary, to
where the points are closed. Take off the thin wire where it connects at
the coil(-)negative. Hold this end of the wire to where it's almost
touching a good ground, like within 1/8 inch of the valve cover. With
the ignition key ON, flick the points open with your finger, or a stick.
(Low voltage here) Each time you open and close the points, a spark
should jump from the wire you are holding, to a metal  ground.
 If it doesn't, check to be sure that the nylon insulator is over the
post, keeping the moveable points arm from touching the post. The two
wires that are also connected to this post must have the nylon
separating them from the points arm.

It's easy to get messed up with the connection sequence here, but the
above is one way to see if that's what happened.

IF you DO have spark at the wire that connects to the coil negative post
(when flicking the points open) you can now check the coil. Reconnect
the thin wire you removed, disconnect the heavy wire coming from the
center of the coil where it goes into the distributor cap. Hold this end
of the wire near a ground, and flick the points again. There should be a
crisp and visable "snap" when you flick the points open. This confirms
that the coil is stepping up the primary voltage.

I will assume that there is voltage going to the wire at the coil (+)
when the key is on, since this shouldn't have been disturbed.

Write back if none of the above gets your engine started.

Dick

Jim wrote:
... I did a tuneup today on my 6 and now I have no spark. Put in new
plugs, points, condenser and rotor but I'm not getting any spark at the
plugs or coil. I did nothing out of the ordinary just a normal tuneup.
When it wouldn't start I regaped the points countless times and finally
put the old condenser and points back in.
I am totally stumped, is there a way to tell if the coil is bad?
Jim Robichau