top hole in clutch lever

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: top hole in clutch lever
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 08:15:47 -0400
Hi,What's wrong with using the top hole in the clutch actuating lever?  I see
that using this hole would result in a slight change in the angle of the rod in
relation to the slave cylinder, but since this is a hydraulic rather than
mechanical link, why would this be a problem? Why are there three holes anyway?
I recently replaced my transmission.  I kept the clutch components as they had
less than 5000 miles (koyo bearing, Sachs pressure/clutch plate from BPNW).  I
had no problems whatsoever with this setup with the old transmission.
Everything went back together fine, but I have a hard time engaging reverse,
sometimes first, and have a tough time downshifting from fourth to third
without grinding the gears.  Placing the rod in the top hole fixes the problem.
 The clutch master and slave are relatively new. Also, with the previous
transmission, I had a very "crisp" engagement of the clutch.  (I could easily
spin the rear wheels, and "chirp" the tires between 1st and 2nd...sometimes
between 2nd and 3d)  I know this is juvenile but...  Now, I cannot break
traction at all.  It's not like the clutch is really slipping much, rather it
just doesn't seem to be a "crisp" engagement.  Whats up with this?Joe Davis