overheating rheostat

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: overheating rheostat
From: "Ric Anderson" <bowmaker@cyberport.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 13:54:47 -0600
Hello all,

The other evening I was out driving  my 76 TR-6 with the headlights on and
noticed the smell of overheating wire.   A quick exam resulting in finding the
panel light rheostat on the dash heating up.   I reached up and disconnected
the wires from the rheostat which of course turned off all of the panel and
guage lights.  My first thought was that the rheostat had gone bad, but after
replaceing it with a new Lucas and then turning on the lights, it too started
to heat up.    There are three wires that go to the rheostat, 2 red/white and
one red.  According to the schematic in my Haynes manual ( which is really for
a TR 250)  the 2 r/w go to one side of the rheostat and the single red goes to
the other side.  Any advice on  what might be causing this  problem would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ric