RE: overheating rheostat

To: "Ric Anderson" <bowmaker@cyberport.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: overheating rheostat
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 15:21:09 -0700
        Ric:

        The rheostat is in series with the dash lights, and dims them by
providing a voltage
drop to the dash lights. If the rheostat is burning, then there is too
much voltage
being dropped across it by the dash lights . This can be caused by:

        Adding more lights to the dash lighting circuit.
        Incorrect wattage in one or more bulbs in your dash (higher
wattage)
        Any wiring problem that increases the load placed on the
rheostat (shorts, miswired, etc).

        'Course, the rheostat itself may be having problems - dirty
wiper arm, corrosion, etc can conspire to increase the voltage drop
across the rheostat, and thus increase the amount of power it must
handle.
        Is the light dimmer erratic, or do your dash lights flicker when
you adjust the dimmer? If so, it may be the rheostat itself...

        Cheers,

        Vance