Re: anybody running a solid axle in a tr6?

To: "Mike D'Ambrogia" <miked@jamagination.com>
Subject: Re: anybody running a solid axle in a tr6?
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 14:16:37 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Mike D'Ambrogia wrote:

> if so please let me know, I'm interested in a 4 point linkage setup and
> wondering about how :
>
> 1) the driveshaft goes thru the Tshirt area on the frame
>
> 2) attach points for the linkage brackets
>
> 3) what/how road handling characteristics may have changed
>
> 4) tub and frame modifications

All you need is the TR4A non-IRS shackles and springs. Add a panhard rod
and you're "good to go". If you want a 4-bar setup, you'll have to add
some sort of "cage" to hook the pickup points to.

This begs the question - WHY? If you want handling, you don't want a solid
axle car.

A better "solution" would be to adapt another car's rear suspension setup,
e.g. complete rear sub-frame.

Among the possibilities are Miata (good for more than 250 HP on some SCCS
Street Mod cars) and T-bird/Cougar (Ford 8.8").

Please note that there is a group of folks dedicated to swapping V8's into
british cars - they'll have better input to you than the 6-pack list...

> Thanks
>
> Mike D

I hope this helps.
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |