Re: The Troubles with Transmissions

To: "Ed Quinn" <edthefanman@yahoo.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The Troubles with Transmissions
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:50:47 -0400
Ed,

> Well, I guess its too late, and the options slim.
> What is the best option here, rebuild or replace with
> a used one?  Or 5 speed Toyota's?  I am not against
> rebuilding it myself if all the parts are cheap
> enough.

I think it is a bit too late to rebuild... and probably costly once you dive
into things and find out you're going to need some expensive new bits (other
than the usual bearings, gaskets, seals and washers).

 > I am not planning on spending a fortune as the car is
> probably worth $2000.00 (when its been washed).  I
> just love driving it and want to keep it on the road.
> Any thoughts?  ....

Well, not to sound mean, but why would you want to spend over half the value
of your car to install a Toyota 5 speed?  If you would ever sell the car,
the value of the Toyota 5 speed would not be recoverable (unless you sold
the car as parts).

The option I would choose would be to find a good used TR6 standard gearbox
around, open up the top cover, check for usual damage and wear spots, change
fluids and bolt it in and enjoy for another few years.  A used gearbox, is
going to run you $150-300 from used parts vendors or on eBay (or check with
your local club).  You should change the front and rear seals and all the
gaskets as well, but this is a fairly nominal cost of $15.

If you hate oil leaks, like me, you can splurge and get double lip front and
rear oil seals... but they'll run about double the price of the standard
seals.

Anyway, the rational for the solution I propose is investing the least
amount of money into your car, because any major investment in the
transmission is going to be lost on a $2000 TR6 unless you completely
overhaul the entire engine/driveline at the same time, and even then the
cost recovery is questionable depending on what you find you would need to
replace.  Also going the used transmission route minimizes your downtime and
labor, assuming you could find a unit locally in a relatively short amount
of time.

In the Cali area there are a number of places I'd give a ring to start your
hunt, besides your local clubs...

British Sportscar Centre (Lawrie Alexander), www.britcars.com  Lawrie is a
great guy, fair and earnest... and that is precisely the reason he is at the
top of this list.

Waterloo Drivetrain Systems / British European Motors,
www.britisheuropean.com also good guys, transmissions are a specialty.

British Masters, www2.4dcomm.com/bmr website lists TR6 used gearboxes at
$300.

Triumphs Only, www.triumphsonly.com

Hope those contacts net you some leads!

Kai