The Troubles with Transmissions

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: The Troubles with Transmissions
From: Ed Quinn <edthefanman@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:19:33 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,
I have not been on the list for a while (edthefanman),
but have been tooling around in a Dark Metallic Purple
6 (Ford Probe Purple - with a cheesy air hood scoop)
in Southern Cali for a couple of years now.  Since
getting it back on the road and running it a strange
noise has started.  At first, in first, then creeping
through the gears, now only NOT audiable in 4th. (No
fancy OD on this model).  Sounds like someone has
dropped a bag of marbles in there.  I have recently
changed the tranny oil, to find large chunky of steel
pouring out, and stuck to the magnetic drain
plug.....ouch.  In the last few days its getting
worse, and swami says I am going to need a tow in the
next outing or two...look for smoke signals!
Well, I guess its too late, and the options slim.
What is the best option here, rebuild or replace with
a used one?  Or 5 speed Toyota's?  I am not against
rebuilding it myself if all the parts are cheap
enough.
I am not planning on spending a fortune as the car is
probably worth $2000.00 (when its been washed).  I
just love driving it and want to keep it on the road.
Any thoughts?  ....
All I can say is...OUCH!
Have fun, see you out there....hopefully....keep an
eye out for someone needing help.
Ed