RE: TR6 Hardtop

To: "michael lunsford" <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR6 Hardtop
From: "Robert Fabie" <bfabie@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:27:49 -0400
Mike:
Last Fall, I paid $950 for an original hardtop in very excellent condition. It
was from a '75 (like mine) and had spent most of it's life indoors. The
headliner was perfect, as was all the glass, fittings and even the two black
rear vents were perfect. The rubber around the glass was in very good
condition, but some drying was evident and eventually, all three pieces (plus
the one resting against the top of the windshield, would have to be replaced.
What made it a perfect top for me is that it was the same color as my car --
white and it matched perfectly. As someone else pointed out, the glue used to
attach the headliner is sort of rust brown, and as the material shrinks, it
exposes the glue. With patience, it can be cleaned off.

I think the price I paid was on the high side, but the matching color made it
seem worth it.

Hope the info helps. It is nice to have the top for those clear, cold winter
nights. The top actually makes the car much tighter on the curves and generally
more solid feeling, but it is definitely different than top down driving.

Good luck.
Bob