Re: High Energy Ignitions

To: "'Nick Gemas'" <gln@worldpath.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: High Energy Ignitions
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 19:32:20 -0700
Nick Gemas wrote:

......I'm beginning to think part of the problem is with the optical
trigger Crane sold me. The mounting bracket it metal and stands about a 1/4
"under the rotating rotor tip. As you know a TR6 rotor does not have the
last 1/2"  insulated in the rotor plastic. I believe the spark is
Intermittently jumping to this bracket......

Nick,

Years ago (about 30, in fact), I installed a CD ignition (Megaspark 500) on
my first car, a Spitfire Mk3.  After installation, I encountered the same
problems you are describing.  I contacted the company that produced the
Megaspark and they suggested that I coat the exposed metal contacts of the
rotor (except for where it contacts the cap and the tip) with a paint called
"Red Glyptal".  This is/was a coating designed to insulate motor windings.
It used to be readily available in most any electronics repair place, but I
have not seen it on the shelf (at least in California) for many years.  I
did a check on the web and Caswell Plating and Eastwood still sell it.

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/glyptal.html

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=2298&itemTy
pe=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=glyptal

Hope this helps,