RE: noise in tranny

To: <lklotz.1@netzero.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: noise in tranny
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 13:28:36 -0700
        Lionel:

        Have you checked your tranny fluid level? Might just be low.

        Do you hear a hissing sound at idle with the tranny in neutral?
If you do, then
It could be much worse than low fluid....

        If this is the case, then my guess is that your layshaft is
starting to go. Drain the
tranny fluid and check for grey sludge in the fluid. If you have grey
sludge, then
your layshaft needs replacing. If you get grey lumps, you have lost a
gear.
        First gear exerts the most pressure on the layshaft, by virtue
of it's greater
torque. The layshaft has a characteristic wear pattern, which is always
to have the
greatest wear on the laysaft under the needle bearings near first gear.
        I any event, you want to inspect/drain your tranny fluid as the
next step in the
diagnosis. A lightly brassy look is normal for the fluid (if it is GL4
gear lube), so what
you are looking for is grey sludge (so called swarf, or powdered metal)
or lumps, which
would be metal chips off the gears.
        If you postpone correcting the problem, the noise will get
louder until the gearbox
catastrophically fails, generally failing in a manner similar to having
a small bomb
go off. At that point the gearbox is scrap.
        By the way, you cannot inspect for this problem without
disassembling the
tranny, so save yourself the trouble of removing and opening the to
cover. If it
is a chipped gear, you MIGHT be able to spot it by inspection, depending
if it is
a gear on the main shaft of layshaft.

        Vance