RE: Help - rough running TR6

To: "'Joe Merone'" <jmerone@rocketmail.com>,
Subject: RE: Help - rough running TR6
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 20:51:08 -0400
Since the only variable seems to be the valve adjustment, I'd re-check
the valve lash before doing anything else.

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO

Listers:

Last week I adjusted my valves on my TR6 for the first
time in a while.  They all seemed to have closed down
a little over the years and needed to be gapped wider.
 I did NOT adjust anything else at the time.

I then went on a two day 300 mile trip and the car ran
great.  Idled well, pulled strong, gas mileage even
seemed better.

Three days later after that weekend and it's now
running rough.  Flat, chugging, and unbalanced.  Low
power.  Sort of like a skipping.  Idles ok but with an unbalanced sound
to the exhaust.  When it's started from cold it doesn't even seem to
want to idle fast with the choke.

What I know:  I've got a Pertronix and there doesn't
seem to be a fault there. The wires are on in the
right order.  I haven't touched the carbs.

Any ideas?  Before I started playing with the timing I
wanted to consult you.  Should I have adjusted it when
doing the valves?  Why did it run great for a few
days?

Thanks.
Joe Merone
CF18928