I'm stumped

To: "'6pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: I'm stumped
From: David Brady <dmb993@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 19:38:57 -0400
Hi Folks,

Sure could use some help in diagnosing my car. I
took it out for a drive and it ran good but stumbled
at idle. Because it hadn't really been driven since last
year, I thought maybe there was water in the gas so
I filled the tank and poured in some gas treatment.
I went for a 50mi drive and it ran beautifully. The day
was hot 90 deg  and humid, but the car's oil pressure
and cooling system weren't complaining. I visited a
neighbor and turned the car off. After maybe 20 min
I started the motor. It started fine but half a mile
later it died. I was coasting down hill so I tried to
start on compression for a good 1/8th mile. No go.
It completely stopped, no sputter just nothing. I towed
it home and have been working on it for 2 days. In
my triage, I replaced the fuel pump and the coil.
The motor now starts, but only if the ignition is advanced
to around 32deg adv at 1200 rpm, where it runs
very roughly and only for a short duration, otherwise nothing.
I'm running triple webers with a fuel pressure regulator
and a mechanical pump and luminition electronic
ignition. I removed the luminition and replaced it with
points and I have the same symptoms. All your
help is very much appreciated.

Thanks
Dave
68 TR250 CD8124L