Voltage to coil

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Voltage to coil
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 04:51:17 -0700 (PDT)
Would someone out there enlighten us on the coil voltage issue.  It was my
understanding that unless your coil had an internal ballast you needed an
external ballast, either through the old fashoned ballast resistor or through
the resistor wire built into later models.  I have the pertronix ignition in
mine with a ballast resistor and it began to stall at stop lights when the RPMs
got down around 800.  After a lot of head scratching I discovered that the new
coil I recently installed had an internal ballast and, since I had a ballast
resistor also I was reducing the voltage twice.  I just bypassed the external
ballast and the car now runs fine.  Is this line of reasoning correct or is
this just another example of Lucas electric being FM.
Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR6

Check out the new British Cars Forum: