RE: Voltage to coil

To: "michael lunsford" <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Voltage to coil
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 14:19:48 -0700
        Mike:

        While it is possible to have the ballast resistor in the coil
itself, that would mean that the coil would have three terminals on it,
so that the ballast can be bypassed during starting. I have never heard
of an internally ballasted coil, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.
        Far more likely that that the coil is of the non-ballasted type,
and so you must bypass the ballast wire built in to the wiring harness
in order to get enough voltage to the coil, especially at idle. The TR6
wiring on the later models is set up for a ballasted coil, to make
starting more positive. If you were to install a non ballasted coil,
then the operating voltage would be too low for the coil to work
correctly.

        Vance