Re: Cleaning rusty TR6 seat frames

To: David Robertson <david@robertson.org.nz>
Subject: Re: Cleaning rusty TR6 seat frames
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 11:00:36 -0400
Hi David,

Thanks for the info.

My reason for trying the Electrolysis method is to remove the rust from
inside the seat recliner hinge mechanism. It is a multi-layered metal
affair, which I can't reach by bead blasting. My understanding is that
all I need to immerse is the hinge because the process stops after the
rust is removed.

But what about the black reside that the process leaves. I won't be able
to remove that from inside the hinge mechanism for the same reason I
can't remove the rust. Is there some way to remove it other than
mechanical means such as a wire brush etc. Can it be washed out in some
way? Does it matter that I will not be able to remove the black residue?
Can I just oil the hinge internals to try to retard further corrosion?

Thanks

Don Malling

David Robertson wrote:
>>I thought maybe the Electrolysis method with laundry soda and a battery
>>charger might be the answer. Any opinions out there? Anyone tried it or
>>have any other ideas?
>

> I've used this method for years although not for anything as big as a seat
> frame. Works well. The water gets really messy but it certainly gets rid
> of the rust.
>
> Regards,
> David Robertson
>
>     1961 Thunderbird