Trailing arm studs and gas tank drain seal

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Trailing arm studs and gas tank drain seal
From: "Michael Corbitt" <Michael_Corbitt@ous.edu>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 21:42:36 -0700
I have two situations I would like information on that came up as I prepare to
put everything back together in the rear of my car (rebuilt differential,
rebuilt shocks, new springs, bushings, brake lines, etc).

While replacing brake lines, I noticed a wet spot on the rear exhaust pipe.
It's coming from a very slow developing drip from the gas tank drain.  Not
exactly the kind of thing I want dripping on a hot exhaust pipe.  Can I get
away with just tightening the bolt, or should I go ahead an replace the seal
while the access is easy.  Are these seals something that need to be replaced
periodically?   If I replace the seal, can I drain the half tank of gas via
this drain, or would it be smarter to siphon it out the top?

Second, two of the six studs in one of my trailing arms needed to be replaced.
One of the studs had been a bolt (slightly larger thread size) put in by a
previous owner, and now the new stud will not tighten down.  Do I have any
options here besides continuing to do what the previous owner did?

Thanks for the help, as always.  I'm looking forward to getting the car out for
some fall driving, and seeing if my "first-ever" differential rebuild is really
a success.  I guess next time, I'll think twice about starting a project such
as a differential rebuild at the beginning of summer, especially since my only
other encounter with a differential was to look at it under the rear of a car.

Mike
Corvallis, OR

Check out the new British Cars Forum: