RE: Trailing arm studs and gas tank drain seal

To: "'Michael Corbitt'" <Michael_Corbitt@ous.edu>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Trailing arm studs and gas tank drain seal
From: "Steve Hanselman" <tr6@kc4sw.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 16:22:43 -0700
Michael,

Do your self a real favor and heli-coil or use the other one (whose name
I forget) on all of the studs in the trailing arm.  After inspecting
mine (one was gone, one fell out and one pulled out) I found that all of
the mounting holes were in some way distorted.  I meant to go to the
coarse thread 5/16 but messed up and got the N.F. (5/16-24 same as the
original). Still putting the heli-coil in got me a larger/deeper cut
into the supporting aluminum

Stephen Hanselman

Second, two of the six studs in one of my trailing arms needed to be
replaced.  One of the studs had been a bolt (slightly larger thread
size) put in by a previous owner, and now the new stud will not tighten
down.  Do I have any options here besides continuing to do what the
previous owner did?

Check out the new British Cars Forum: