Re: Hi Energy Ignitions?

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hi Energy Ignitions?
From: "Nick Gemas" <gln@worldpath.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:59:48 -0400
    Well I've gotten nowhere in getting this Crane system to run right. I've
checked and rechecked the phasing of the rotor and it's dead on. I'm
convinced this system will NOT run on the TR6 even I was assured it would by
Crane Tech Support prior to purchase. I drilled a hole in the cap above plug
#1 per Crane instructions and with the lights off I can actually see arching
to the optical trigger mounting bracket and the distributor baseplate
itself!
   But since the car did run great for about one day I'm wondering if
another problem may have popped it's head up at the same time and I'd like
some help figuring out what else may be causing the symptoms.
    Symptom  : stumble coming of idle. Typically the car starts up fine revs
smooth for about one minute but after idling of 15 or 30 seconds when you
hit the pedal major stumble or what I would call missing. Once it revs up
lets say over 2500 rpm you get a smooth rev. Let her idle a bit hit the gas
and major missing. It also seems to be there one minute and gone the next
only to return a few moments later. Almost like a car that loads up at idle
and stumbles a bit when it idles too long. Seems the longer it idles the
worse the stumble until you get the rpm up. Problem is I know it's not
running  rich. I've never had this problem before I put the Crane system in.
By the way if I remove the crane , put my Pertronix and old coil in wala no
problem!

I Have the correct plug wires 8.5mm and new plugs proper gap, new cap and
rotor. Carbs tuned and oil level fine (newly rebuilt 2 years ago).

I thought about fuel pump and filter but it seems that would show itself at
WOT not idle.

Please help! 3 weeks the cars been off the road , snow will be flying soon.

Thanks Nick Gemas

Check out the new British Cars Forum: